Monday, December 30, 2013

My Return to There.com

I have returned to There.com

As of 12/29/2013, it has been one month since my return to There. I had recently returned because of the ending to my nine year relationship. I've always enjoyed this virtual world and have made wonderful friends over the years. Now is the time where their friendship and support is greatly needed as I try to recover from a broken heart. Sure getting support from people off-line is important as well but as someone who suffers from social anxiety and lives pretty much in the middle of now where currently, it is difficult to meet or make friends. I then fall back to the old way I meet, make and hang out with friends because it is easier for me.

It has been a great first month back in There. I've moved my avatar into a neighborhood called "Hippie Island" where most of my favorite people live. Being in a virtual world allows me to be comfortable being myself with less judgment from others such as meeting face to face. First impression people get from meeting other people is the way we look. We see each other first, so the thought that I am judged by my looks first, scares me. No I do not feel so much that I look much different than anyone else but as I grew up I saw myself as very different when I looked in the mirror even though I looked much like everyone else even then. Without the worry of being judged by how I look I can relax and talk with people. I've recently moved from typing to communicate to using voice chat in world to communicate with those I feel comfortable with. Typing is always much easier because people can judge and tell more about a person by the sound of their voice. So meeting people in a virtual world is just so much easier for me as it removes the physical panic my body and emotions goes through meeting physically.

You might judge, believe or decide that this is not a healthy way to meet or socialize with others and I agree somewhat as I understand the differences. It is better to be comfortable with your physical self and be able to approach others without fear and if it was that simple I would most likely prefer to meet and hang with people face to face most of the time. Though it might be considered unhealthy, for myself, it feels the healthier way only due to the fact that my body doesn't go through the stress caused by my social anxiety disorder.

There.com is a great alternative! And it is not just for people who have an SA disorder or whatever, it is for people all over the world to meet and hangout!

I love all of my Therian friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment